The MAC Select program has done it again – it blew me away! And being surprised with the MAC Select birthday gift on a recent shopping trip was a total icing on the cake, so I wanted to let you know about it right away.
It’s safe to say that the MAC Select program may be the best beauty loyalty program of the moment! Any makeup lover who’s been disappointed by the Sephora VIB / VIB Rouge program or hasn’t signed up yet, you’ll want to get on this now (And no, it’s not too late!)
What is the MAC Select Program
The MAC Select program is MAC’s own loyalty program for any shoppers (it’s different from its Pro program). Anyone can sign up at a MAC store; it’s free to join and the program has been around for 1.5 years. It’s one of the best programs out there (at least in Canada for makeup lovers)
There is no app or card; you have a unique identifier code and to get points credited, you must let the sales associate know your email address upon checkout (if buying in-store); points are automatically credited for online purchases.
Points reset every year, so aim to achieve the level you want – I find the “Devoted” ($200 spend) to be the right middle ground especially because MAC has done a lot of value sets/kits and ran multiple 25% off sales for Select Members during the year (outside the holiday period). You can stock up and save money while building your status.
I do recommend you signing up as you never know how the program evolves. With minimal effort on your side and without realizing it, you could have spent enough money to enjoy the annual anniversary gifts!
There are 3 tiers and the tier layout is very similar to Sephora. The more you spend, the better the perks are as both the Anniversary Gift and Birthday gift are available only to the higher tier members. Spends are accrued on an annual basis and points to expire every year so it’s best to aim to get your points up during the holidays/sales if you’re interested in maintaining the perks.
- Tier 1 (Seduced): $0 min spend; Everyone who joins is automatically classified as Seduced. Minimal perks
- Tier 2 (Devoted): $200 min spend: You get all the perks of the Seduced level + the Anniversary Gift + the Birthday Gift + a complimentary 30-minute makeup application + early access to collections.
- Tier 3 (Obsessed): $500 min spend; you get all the perks of the Devoted level + 2x complimentary 60-min makeup application + early access to shop + exclusive invites + free shipping with $65 spend
As I’ve only been a Devoted member, I can’t speak to the others; I’ll summarize in that it is the best in-between tier that gives you the most worthwhile perks of the program (birthday gift, complimentary makeup, early access) without spending excessively. You can read more about my thoughts of the MAC Select program over on this blog post.
MAC Select Birthday Gift 2018 – Details
- Who: Gifts are available for Devoted (Min: $200 spend/year) and Obsessed members (min: $500 spend/year) only
- When: Available starting in 2018 (Spend must have accrued in the previous year)
- How: You must enter your birthday in your MAC Account online
- What: MAC Select Birthday Gift 2018: A full-sized MAC Fix+ in the original scent ($30, available here)
- Where: MAC free-standing stores. I wasn’t aware of this but was told I was eligible upon check out by the sales associate
I’m thrilled with the very generous 2018 gift is a full-sized MAC Fix+ Spray ($30, available here) as it is one of my favourite products. The MAC Fix+ is one of the most popular beauty products out there and and it’s not skintone specific, ensuring that ALL Select members can make the most out of their gift! I’m sure MAC makes a lot of money on it so I’m very surprised by how generous it is – think of it this way, it’s a 15% return-on-investment ($30/$200 spend) for Devoted members and a 6% ROI for Obsessed members.
As I’ve previously mentioned several times in this post, I find the middle tier, Devoted, to have the best of both worlds. If you’re aware that Obsessed members get a different gift, please let me know. the 15% ROI on your $200 investment is a satisfying return to be frank.
As far as I know, there’s no purchase required to pick up your gift!
Have you picked up your MAC Select birthday gift yet?